The Telegraph Honours South Africa And Cape Town With Its Highest Accolade
South Africa is the Best Country on Earth to visit and Cape Town is the Best City in the World as voted by nearly 30 000 avid readers of the popular UK newspaper, The Telegraph in its 2023 Telegraph Travel Awards. This prestigious award is the highest accolade for any tourism destination in the world and South Africans have a lot to be proud of.
South Africa is the rainbow nation, a land of unparalleled beauty and rich cultural heritage agreed the South African Acting Hub Head for UK and Ireland Hubs, Kgomotso Ramothea. What an amazing accolade for the magnetic appeal and positive effect that South Africa continues to hold over travelers around the world.
It is amazing that nearly 170 000 UK visitors have graced South African shores since January 2023, a massive 50% increase from a year ago! And it’s not the first time that South Africa has been the favourite country in the world for UK travelers who have rated it as their top destination since 2013! They love the Western Cape and its Mother City, Table Mountain, dazzling Camps Bay, dramatic Cape Point and the glorious Winelands, award-winning wines and cuisine.
As if that’s not enough, Cape Town is a hub for the conservation of the African penguin, the Great White Shark and the migrating Humpback and Southern Right whales. It’s the epicenter for Fynbos, deep sea fishing and diving.
South Africans can be proud that their UK counterparts think South Africa is the Greatest Country on Earth thanks to its unrivalled landscapes and ecosystems, rich biodiversity, vital cultural experiences and world-class safaris. The UK Telegraph Travel Awards offers a benchmark for the international travel industry when it identifies tourism destinations for their inspiring and impactful offerings to travelers.
Top 10 Countries:
- South Africa
- New Zealand
- Costa Rica
Top 10 Cities:
- Cape Town
- Rio de Janeiro
South Africa – A World In One Country
South Africa is often called a world in one country and now the rainbow nation has been recognised yet again as the best country in the world for international travel according to the 2023 UK Telegraph Travel Awards. All South Africans deserve this accolade in a vibrant country boasting one of the richest cultural diversities in the world enhanced by the unique spirit of ubuntu. UK travellers choose South Africa above all other destinations for its friendly and slick hospitality, its perfect weather and its powerful beauty, diverse wildlife and dynamic scenery.
Why is South Africa known as a world in one country? From the famous Kruger National Park and Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Game Reserve to the dramatic Ukhahlamba Drakensberg in KwaZulu-Natal to the captivating Fynbos hikes of Table Mountain and the stunning beaches along every coast, South Africa offers everything and more to adventure travellers, honeymoon couples and families on a quest for fun and relaxation.
Nourish mind, body and soul in places like no other: Cape Town’s lively cafes and bars, Durban’s exciting beachfront and tropical climate, the Garden Route’s lush forests and white beaches, the Whale Route, the penguins and the iconic rhino, South Africa has something for everyone. There are even deserts to wander, mountains to climb, wines and brandies to taste and camping adventures second to none. The country also boasts some of the top city hotels, beach lodges and country resorts in the world.
Tourists vote South Africa as the greatest county on Earth because it is diverse and exciting, sunny and warm most of the time and a place to eat well, drink well and be active all day if desired.
The Mother City Cape Town
The Mother City of South Africa is Cape Town, recently voted the best city in the country, and a mother of a destination in all respects from its compelling Table Mountain and colorful neighbourhoods to its range of outdoor experiences, wine tastings and cuisine. It’s worth experiencing the nightlife in the city bowl, the many attractions at the V&A Waterfront including tours to Robben Island, and the many hikes and nature-oriented adventures along seashores and in reserves.
Browse the highlights of Cape Town, the Mother City:
- Iconic Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Gardens, Green Point Lighthouse, Camps Bay beaches, the V&A Waterfront, the BoKaap and Cape Town Stadium – see them all!
- Visit the Two Oceans Aquarium for close-up sightings of sharks and turtles and listen to a talk, then eat ice cream.
- Get up close to endangered African penguins on the beach at Boulders Beach in Simonstown then kayak out to see to find the seals.
- Browse the many craft, art and foodie markets in Kalk Bay and Hout Bay and tour the local traditional fishing villages and working harbours.
- Climb or hike the many mountain climbing routes and trails in Cape Town’s National Parks – visit Silvermine Nature Reserve for a range of fantastic views and hikes, caves and the dam.
- Ocean adventures are rife, from Muizenberg around Cape Point to Kommetjie and from Noordhoek round the Atlantic Seaboard to the V&A Waterfront: surfing, kite surfing, kayaking, deep sea diving, stand-up paddle boarding, helicopter flips, abseiling, and boat cruises to see seals, great white sharks, whales, penguins and shipwrecks.
- The captivating Cape Whale Coast around Hermanus and Gans Baai is brimming with exciting whale sightings, boardwalks, trails and hiking routes to do alongside breaching whales, dolphins surfing and penguins playing.
Visit the best country on Earth this 2023 with Voyage2Africa and make your base the award-winning Mother City of Cape Town.